How Fat Transfer Improves your Facial Feature, Aging, Acne Scar, Breast and butt?
Fat graft surgery, also referred to as fat transfer or fat injection surgery, is the surgical process by which fat is transferred from one area of the body to another area. The surgical goal is to improve or augment the area where the fat is injected. The technique involves extracting adipose fat by fat injection surgery, processing the fat, and then reinjecting purified fat into the area needing improvement.
Fat transfer had been used since the first decades of the twentieth century for body contouring and reconstruction. Since the 1990’s Plastic Surgeons have reliably used fat grafting as a way to improve and enhance the cosmetic appearance of the face, breast, hands, feet, hips, and buttocks. However, more recently, clinicians have documented the therapeutic benefits of fat grafting in the healing of wounds and scars, as well as fat’s ability to repair damage to breast tissue following radiation treatment.
Fat Injection Benefits and Advantages
- Less allergic reactions.
- Long-lasting, natural results.
- A minimally-invasive way to rejuvenate.
know about DR PRINCE, PLASTIC SURGEON
Fat Transfer in Thrissur, Kerala Facts
|Time Required||1-3 Hours|
|Anesthesia||Mostly Local Anesthesia or General anesthesia if large area or patient preference|
|Pain Level||Mild well managed with medications|
|Result||Major result visible immediately, Final result 6 to 8 months|
|Hospital Stay||Day Care surgery|
|Satisfaction Rate||More than 95%|
|Complication Rate||Less than 1 to 2%|
|Cost(Laser/Vaser Liposuction)||20000 to 80000 INR per area|
Depending on the fat lobular size
- Macro fat grafting: the largest lobular size. Macro fat grafting is best indicated in areas that need large volume transfers like buttocks and breasts. It is also used in face for volume. In addition, Macro fat graft contains both viable adipocytes and adipocyte derived stem cells (ADSCs).
- Micro fat grafting:. The fat particles need to be sufficiently small in order to provide a smooth injection through these fine cannulas. Micro fat-grafts were best used to fill the face, hands and delicate areas as tear troughs. Micro fat contains both viable adipocytes and adipocyte derived stem cells.
- SNIF (sharp needle intradermal fat injection), a type of micro fat grafting in which a 1 ml syringe is injected to the superficial dermal plane with a 23-gauge needle. SNIF is a cheaper and more effective filler for wrinkles in patients willing to have long-term results .
- Nano fat grafting- it is a liquid fat emulsion, which is called Nano fat. Nano fat grafts are rich in ADSCs that are capable of skin rejuvenation as in areas like perioral skin, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, sun-damaged skin at the breast cleavage, dark eye hollows and scars to restore a youthful oval face.
- Facial rejuvenation
- Macrofat grafting: Localise Volumization, in cheek, jaw line, temporal area, b
- Microfat grafting: Below skin uniform filling for full face fullness.
- Nano fat: Fine wrinkle and pigmentation reduction.
- Hand rejuvenation:to reduce fine wrinkles and reduce veins visibility
- Breast augmentation
- It is an alternative with its own limitations to breast implant surgery
- Fat injection could be used for masking apparent edges of breast implant , wrinkles; and to correct visible rippling.
- Breast reconstruction cases that had resultant defects after lumpectomy or skin sparing mastectomy or breast reduction asymmetry could benefit from localized fat injection to correct contour of breast or recreate the whole breast.
- Butt augmentation/ Brazilian butt lift
A Brazilian butt lift means fat grafting in butt to get more natural-looking roundness in your backside. It can also address issues, like sagging and shapelessness of butt..
- 4-D body sculpting
4D body contouring combines liposuction and grafting of the sucked fat in the muscle to reveal the muscle tone beneath.
- Post-surgery deformity correction
Contour irregularities are common problems associated with breast reconstruction and can lead to suboptimal cosmetic results, which can be solved by fat injections.
- Above the age of 18 years
- Good health.
- A Clear goal of the surgery
- Realistic expectations for result
- You know the recovery, risk and result and limitations of the surgery
- Emotionally Stable mindset
- Cosmetic Improvement is limited.
- Only a part of the grafted fat will survive. You may require a touch up procedure.
You would come to know about: –
- Is fat injection surgery for you or not?
- What is there specifically for you in terms of fat grafting surgery, time of performing the surgery, and the actual cost?
- What can be realistically achieved for you?
- Fat injection surgery risk & recovery
- The required measures before & after the fat injection surgery.
- What is your comfort level with the fat injection surgery?
It is good to make a list of important questions before proceeding for the consultation step, so you won’t miss addressing any of your concerns. The patient care coordinator is always there to help.
Your fat injection surgeon Dr Prince Cosmetic & Plastic surgeon will evaluate the following:
- From where the fat can be harvested
- Area of your concern,
- How much fat can be grafted, type of fat grafting
- Traditional suction-assisted lipectomy
Blunt-tip cannula is attached to a suction-generating device for suctioning out fat cells. Small access incisions are made in the skin, and the blunt cannula was introduced through these incisions to aspirate fat in the deep subcutaneous layer.
- Ultrasound- assisted lipectomy
It employs an oscillating ultrasound wave that produces a negative pressure vector which overcomes molecular forces selectively within adipose tissue leading to tissue lipolysis. Third-generation UAL devices such as VASER™ (available at Allure Medspa), allow for greater fragmentation of adipocytes at a lower energy setting, using pulsed rather than continuous energy.
- Power assisted lipectomy
It is a rapidly vibrating cannula, in which the device is powered by medical-grade nitrogen (N2) or by compressed air. Subsequent generations became powered by a quieter electric source instead of medical-grade compressed air.
- Laser assisted lipectomy
LAL utilizes the principles of selective photothermolysis to preferentially lyse adipocytes while leaving surrounding structures unaffected.
- Aspirator devices:
These are equipment responsible for generating one atmosphere of negative pressure necessary to adequately perform fat injection surgery.
- Pre-operative preparations
In advance of your procedure, your surgeon will ask you to:
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before the procedure to avoid poor wound healing and scarring.
- Avoid taking aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications and vitamins/homeopathic regimens that can increase bleeding.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and stay with you for at least the first twenty-four hours unless you and your surgeon have decided on other postoperative recovery options.
- On admission at cosmetic surgery centre
Your surgeon may take pre-procedure photos
A detailed medical and physical exam is done by Dr prince
- You will receive medications to make you as comfortable as possible
- Anaesthesia: commonly local anaesthesia, few times general anaesthesia
Fat grafting can be explained as a three-stage process:
- Harvesting: On the selected site for fat removal, your surgeon will inject a local anaesthetic and then create a small incision in the area for fat removal and, using a sterile technique, insert a cannula connected to a syringe to carefully extract fat (fat injection surgery).
- Purification/ PROCESSING: After harvesting purification is done by the use of a centrifuge to spin the fat or a filtration process to MAKE MACRO FAT, MICRO FAT OR NANO FAT as per requirement.
- Placement: Your surgeon will insert a needle or cannula at the site being augmented. Each time the needle or cannula is withdrawn, a line of fatty tissue parcels is carefully deposited in natural tissue planes. This process is repeated until the desired correction has been achieved, creating a grid of grafted fat
- Fat grafting surgery: Recovery and discharge
- It is an OPD or a day care surgery.
- After your procedure, you will be taken into a recovery area, where you will continue to be closely monitored.
- When fat injection is done as a volumization, little over injection is done, gradually part of the fat will get absorbed, one can see the final result after 4 to 6 months.
- When fat grafting is done for skin rejuvenation collagen synthesis goes on 4 to 6 months, skin quality improves for 6 to 8 months.
- TAKE MEDICINE AS ADVISED
Take as much liquid as possible once you are comfortable. As there is no dietary restriction
Propped up position for 2 to 3 days. Keep in sitting position or you can walk avoid straight sleeping
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Initial 4 to 5 days lighter activity, once oedema reduces there is no restriction. No local treatment or massage is necessary.
When fat injection done one may develop swelling and bruise marks will go in 2 to 3 weeks.
One will have numbness till the late evening on the day of surgery. Pain is easily managed by pain killers, one will feel like something is done. One will feel stretching and pain like stretching, you will have soreness on pressing the operative site, fat donor side.
- LOCAL CARE
AT FAT INJECTION SITE
Ice pack also helps to reduce edema
Application of antibiotic ointment on face at puncture site
AT DONAR SITE
Usually we follow the open drainage technique. Injected tumescent fluid, residual fat, broken tissue will come out from the tiny punctures and it will be blood stained. So tissue reaction, swelling bruising and pain will be less, and recovery will be faster. . Normally it stops in a day or two. If there is excessive bleeding or swelling or pain unrelieved by medication, please call the doctor immediately.
You can wash face after 2 days with mild soap. Take bath after discharge is stopped in running water i.e. Shower bath (No bath in Bath tub).Make area dry and cover the donor area wound with bandage.
Initially there is over correction. as fat get absorbed you look better. and final result of fat volume is about 3 to 4 month. Approximately 50%-75% of the total fat grafted remains in the long term. Improvement in shape and skin tightening goes on for 6 to 8 month.
- FOLLOW UP VISIT
After the discharge ,you have to do postoperative visit at 3 days , 7 days ,15 days and then after 1 month.
- LONG TERM INSTRUCTIONS
It is advisable to visit the clinic at 3 and 6months after the operation. Inform doctor ,if swelling, redness pain, hardness, any lumpy feeling in breasts.
- There is MILD swelling and bruising for the initial week.
- It will resolve in 2 to 3 weeks.
- Propped up position and ice pack application help to recover faster.
Complications from fat grafting are RARE. Some of the complications of FAT GRAFT surgery are:
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Hematoma or seroma (an accumulation of blood or fluid under the skin that may require removal)
- Changes in sensation
- Allergic reactions
- Damage to underlying structures
- Unsatisfactory results that may necessitate additional procedures
You can help minimize certain risks by following the advice and instructions of your board-certified plastic surgeon, both before and after your fat transfer.